Monday, May 7, 2012

TYPES OF BUNGALOWS

I'm always fascinated by the different types of bungalows we have here in Houston. This collection is based on the materials each is made from.
A beautiful stucco bungalow with curved porch archways located in Woodland Heights.

A sensational all wood bungalow in Houston Heights historical district.

A lovely all wood bungalow with brick and slab entry porch.

Another of this same type with an inviting front porch. I love this paint color combination, don't you?
Located in Houston Heights historical district.

A cozy all brick bungalow with beautiful landscaping.

A rare stone bungalow with a new tin roof. These stones look like they are from East Texas.

A limestone bungalow with new tin roof.

Here's another shot. I really like this look. Found here in Oak Forest.

A refurbished bungalow with natural style hardy board siding.
This is beautifully done and one of my favorite of the new styles of bungalows using hardy board.

Finally, another refurbished bungalow with hardy board and natural stone facade.
I'm so glad to see these bungalows refurbished rather than torn down.

This one was behind my bungalow here in Oak Forest. They are replaced by giant McMansions that look like monsters on our small lots.

Here's one going up along side our neighborhood bungalows. Why do people need such large houses?
Maybe if you were the Walton's and had 10 kids you might convince me that they are needed.
Maybe there's an indoor basketball court hidden under that roof. 
Oh well, I guess the deer said they same thing when our little bungalows replaced their wild forest lands.
Wonder what will replace the McMansions a century from now?
Maybe the land will revert back to forests as we move into high rises.
Maybe I'll see a deer pass by.

:0)




7 comments:

  1. It makes me sad to see these big McMansions in a historically preserved neighborhood. If I were going to build a new home in that area, I would work to blend in to my surroundings. I would take the money that I would spend on increasing the footprint of my new home to add those architectural details that historic homes have and modern architecture is so obviously lacking. Thank you, once again, for sharing your beautiful neighborhood with us, David. My parents have bought a home in Longview and have their Houston home up for sale. I won't be making it down to enjoy the Heights (and Ninfas and Nico Nicos!) much anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Bungalows are charming indeed. I worry about the humans that must have the McMansions....I would rather have habitat for the birds and bugs!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these ideas.Its great to study some publish about this these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, David! This is a wonderful collection of bungalows. I wonder which to choose if I were given one! When I build my house, I’d like to make my house harmonious to the new environment. All one-story house is fascinating as you can have a great view, high rises can be obstacles.

    Thanks for your visit. I’ve found this blog interesting as I’m interested in different style of architectures which look attractive and cozy.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a couple and maybe one child in a mcmansion and i wonder about their mental state. What's wrong in their life that they feel the need for a giant show to show off to everyone that they can afford a giant house? I wish the McMansion trend would die out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea what plans were used for the 3rd bungalow from the top? The one with the slab entry porch? I have a very similar model (with the gable facing to the side of the house and the little dormer peaking over the top). Mine has been altered somewhat and I'm curious what the original floorplan would have been.

    ReplyDelete

Positive Comments Always Make My Day